Development DirectorCompany: Sheldon Swope Art Museum
Date Posted: May 8, 2018
The Sheldon Swope Art Museum seeks a development director, a key position within a dynamic organization dedicated to the cultural, educational and vibrant fabric of the Wabash Valley community and state of Indiana. The director will help plan and execute a comprehensive giving program. This will require prospecting for and cultivating major gifts, identifying and writing proposals and grants, managing donor relationships as well as launching a comprehensive campaign.
The director will be a strategic, innovative professional who will guide the formation of a comprehensive campaign focused on capital, endowment and programmatic growth, while also building the overall fundraising capacity of the museum. The director will manage a portfolio of high-level leadership prospects and will develop strong relationships with new constituents. The director will develop a stewardship plan to enhance strategic communication with donors.
This position will play an important role in building and preserving the museum's collection and legacy, reporting directly to the Museum's executive director. This is a new position for the museum, and as such, there will be great intentionality on creating a strong fundraising program and campaign plan while also establishing goals which will include raising operational funds for the costs associated with fundraising including salaries, marketing and travel.
About the Museum
The Sheldon Swope Art Museum collects, preserves, and celebrates the best in American Art with programs and exhibitions designed to engage, stimulate, and educate those whose lives it touches; it enhances the culture and contributes to the economic development of the Greater Wabash Valley. The collection of the Swope is so outstanding its work of art are sought for loan by museums such as the Louvre, the Whitney, the Chicago Art Institute and the Smithsonian Museum of American Art.
- Creates a plan for the formation of a campaign and works collaboratively with the executive director and volunteer campaign committee to lead campaign efforts.
- identifies, cultivates, solicits and stewards a portfolio of donor prospects.
- Researches and connects with foundations, organizations and corporations to expand base of support within and beyond the local community.
- Manages a campaign budget and fundraising reports to the board and leadership.
- Oversees campaign communications, integrates campaign milestones into ongoing public relations outreach; manages cultivation and recognition events and campaign milestone events; ensures proper acknowledgements and stewardship practices.
- Recruits and manages campaign volunteers.
- Works effectively with community stakeholders in and around the Wabash Valley and cultivates relationships and support for the arts through telling the Swope story.
- Works with Swope staff to oversee special event fundraising opportunities, exploring new possibilities for event enhancement; creates and initiates new fundraising event opportunities.
- Ensures that all development efforts are in compliance with the Museum's mission, policy, and procedures.
Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university and a minimum of three years of successful experience related to fundraising, preferably from a non-profit organization.
- Outstanding communication skills and problem-solving abilities.
- Experience and comfort working with donors, trustees, high net-worth individuals and diverse constituencies.
- Appreciation for arts and culture; fundraising experience for an arts organization preferred.
- Strong ability to think creatively and plan strategically combined with tactical implementation skills.
- Ability to develop a team of volunteers while collaborating effectively with internal staff to achieve broader organizational skills.
- Ability to develop team of volunteers while collaborating effectively with internal staff to achieve broader organizational goals.
- Knowledge of database management and skills to implement that knowledge.
- Flexibility and willingness to work evenings/weekends and to travel as needed.
- Entrepreneurial personality with an ability to work successfully in dynamic work environment.
Cover letter, resume and references should be submitted by email to email@example.com. Open until filled.